Holiday & Party Recipes
For my 2nd annual Halloween party I wanted to create a scary menu, but one that would not be too repetitious from last year's. However, I'm almost 6-months pregnant and I tire extremely easy so I wanted to make food which would be relatively easy to prepare in addition to being a crowd pleaser. I wanted to have a vegetarian and a meat main course option (though as it turned out, my one vegetarian guest couldn't come so I turned a vegetarian chili into a chili con carne), as well as a variety of other things that would please children and adults.
As it turned out, by the end of the party I was too tired to put the finishing touches on the food - the eyeballs on the chili, the plastic spiders on the empanada plate - and I actually managed to forget some of the food in the oven! I was meaning to serve smokies in BBQ sauce- they kind of looked like fingers in blood -, but I forgot them in the oven altogether! Pregnancy brain and party planning just don't go together. Still, the menu worked out quite well and we're still delighting in the leftovers.
- Chips & Guacamole (storebought)
- Crackers & sliced baguette
- A selection of cheeses: white Stilton with apricots, triple-cream brie, morbier and some Italian cheese
- Deviled ham (canned - looked like catfood and the cat ate most of it)
- Calabrese salame (from Trader Joe's)
- Deviled Eggs
same as last year's.
- Meat Empanadas
a big hit
- Chili con Carne
- Ghost cookies (Pillsbury)
- Dulce de Leche Bites
- Spider cake with Ice Cream
- Hawaiian Punch